Dragons Earn Thrilling Tournament Win In OT

The Dragons earned their first postseason win since 2011 with an overtime victory over Davenport University.
The Dragons earned their first postseason win since 2011 with an overtime victory over Davenport University.

For the first time since 2012 the Tiffin University women's soccer team found themselves in the GLIAC Women's Soccer Tournament. The Dragons made sure it wasn't a one-and-done scenario as they completed their comeback in overtime to drop Davenport University 3-2.

It didn't look good in the first half for Tiffin as the Panthers scored on an unassisted goal that hit the left post and bounced in to give Davenport a 1-0 lead. Tiffin's deficit grew in the 24th minute as Davenport struck off a free kick to lead 2-0. The Dragons narrowed the gap in the 40th minute netting an unassisted goal off the foot of Alli McCabe to draw Tiffin closer at 2-1 at the half.

Tiffin became the aggressor in the second half, firing 13 shots in the half. The one time deficit for Tiffin evaporated in the 52nd minute with Adrianna Currie tying the score via a penalty kick. The Tiffin defense also dominated the 2nd half, holding the Panthers to only two shots. Tiffin also controlled corner kicks in the half, holding a 4-0 advantage. In the 79th minute, Tiffin came as close as you can to taking the lead, as Adrianna Currie hit the crossbar with a shot, keeping the score tied.

In overtime, there were a total of three shots taken, with Davenport firing first. The Panthers' lone shot was saved by Samantha Ortenzi. Tiffin's first shot came from Currie and was saved, but the ball rebounded in front of the goal and the 3rd and final shot of the overtime was a winner for Tiffin as Markella Suka sealed the deal for Tiffin.

Tiffin held a huge advantage in shots at 21-11 and in corner kicks at 5-0. Tiffin goalkeeper Samantha Ortenzi rebounded nicely in the 2nd half and overtime, collecting four total saves. Adrianna Currie finished with a goal, an assist, and three points. Suka and McCabe each scored a goal for Tiffin.

For Tiffin, it is the first postseason victory since Tiffin dropped Northern Michigan 3-0 on November 1, 2011. The Dragons will now await the winner of the Grand Valley State and Michigan Tech match. The location of Tiffin's next match will be determined by the winner of the aforementioned match between the Lakers and Huskies.

The Dragons move to 8-9-1 overall and 6-3 in GLIAC play.